Monday, December 26, 2011

Santa Russ gets noticed!

Our own Santa Russ was featured in a post over on the Seattle Times job blog. Russ has been singing with the Market Street Singers since the very beginning of the choir, has served on the board of directors and (wearing his other, non-Santa hat) has designed and printed all our publicity posters, fliers and programs. We're so lucky to have our very own Santa...

December 20, 2011

Yule Job: Santa Russ


Yule Job: Santa Russ
(Arthur & Associates)


What do you do? I have the wonderful job of having my picture taken with thousands of children of all ages while they tell me what they’d like for Christmas. It’s also a good time for me to review the "Naughty or Nice" list. Since Santa’s milk glass is always half full, I sometimes have to ask the tough questions of those who might need to convince me they belong on the "Nice" side of the ledger.

How long have you been doing that? Some would tell you I’ve been bringing joy to children for hundreds and hundreds of years. My, how time and reindeer fly! It’s a good thing I age well.

What are the most important skills or qualifications for the job? Well, as you know, there is only one Santa and my qualifications are simple: I love bringing happiness to children. Seeing the magic and anticipation in the eyes of those coming to see me is what keeps me young.

Best part of the job?
Without question, the best part of the job is seeing the genuine love and excitement children have for me. Being appreciated never gets old. Best adult thing that’s happened: I partnered with a young man to surprise his girlfriend with a wedding proposal, and she said yes! Best thing about the job that happens fairly regularly: It’s when a young child looks you in the eyes and says, “I love you, Santa.” That never gets old or taken for granted.

What surprises people about your job? It can be a little harder than it looks to sit with hundreds of families in a given day, hearing their stories and having flashes go off all around you, but it’s all worth it. Could you imagine a better job than being jolly old Santa? I get to play in the world of imagination with every child who believes in me and for that, I will never get old.
--Via his elf, David Mickelson at Arthur & Associates

And if that weren't enough, his space age, top-of-the-Space Needle persona is featured in a photo gallery also at the Seattle Times. Check it out here! Super cute pictures!




No comments:

Post a Comment